CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 20, 2006

I got to play in the Bay of Bengal today!

What a day! After lunch today our host, Esther, and her family took Jennifer, Jeanna and I to the beach. Now any of you who know me know that is a BIG DEAL! I am so excited that I got to bring back sand from my collection of beaches I've visited - and to bring sand back from where the actual Tsunami was is incredible. We didn't go in very far, but the waves were pretty big and knocked us over - we were wearing our Indian Chudies so I was really covered up. It was strange seeing people in the water in their beautiful clothes. Unfortunately, I forgot I was wearing a black bra and my top was yellow, so you can imagine what happened when my light yellow top got wet - YIKES! Probably my most embarrassing moment in India so far.

Another great thing was that I was mistaken for an 18 year old - yes, you read it right, it's not a typo. That was pretty funny too. I think I might stay in India - it might have had something to do with the bra thing . . . .

Anyway, last night our Pastor/Hostess Esther took us around to her church believers - probably about 20 families and we visited in their homes (huts) and gave them a book that they had earned. We prayed for many, many people and they all were so happy to see us. One of the families we prayed with did not have any electricity and it was pitch dark. Our translator, Sheela, would not let us go in the house like usual, so they served us tea outside. Sheela kept wanting to leave and we couldn't figure out why. Come to find out this family has had a frequent visitor of a HUMONGOUS snake - so she did not want us anywhere around there. They also say that there is a ghost haunting them. They were previously Hindu, and when they converted to Christianity a couple of months ago, the snake and the ghost came. Their family and neighbors say it is the Hindu Gods coming to punish them. WOW - not even sure what to say about that except that I was glad the snake didn't come while we were there.

So many stories to tell - but that's it for now. I just wanted everyone to know that we are fine, there have been no meltdowns, sickness, injuries (and if you saw how the traffic worked here, you would definitely believe that that is a miracle). Tonight we are in the hotel in a real bed (YES!) and tomorrow we visit a Hindu Temple, do some shopping and then fly out at like 4:00 a.m.

You won't believe this, but other than missing my family, I could stay here another week or two, (maybe even longer) - I have fallen in love with India and the people and hope that God gives the opportunity to do ministry here for Him again!

On mission for Him and lovin' India!

Lanette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,
you and your team are incredibly brave, visiting all those unknown places and people, what a wonderful opportunity, very interesting about the snake and the haunting, prayers continue for you and your team. Continued safe travels and a safe trip home,
God Bless you all

Lady Di (lucky Bob's sister-in-law)

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
when your read this you should have arrived home safely, once again I looking forward to hearing all about your mission trip and the bravery of you and your team. We are so safe in our "comfort zone", I am amazed by those brave enough to break that barrier. I am sure you are happy to be back with your family and pets. take care and hope to see you in silver lake sometime!!..... Lady Di, (lucky Bob's sister-in-law)