CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 12, 2005

Spanish Class

Today I took my first Spanish class at IUSB - it is a beginning conversational class and it was really great. I can't believe how much I learned in an hour and a half. My instructor is really easy to understand and listen to - she had some great stories.

There was an interesting mix of people in the class - one was an older gentlemen who was in the peace core when he was young and was stationed somewhere where he became fluent in Swahili - WOW! Another gentlemen is a retired English professor from Notre Dame who named off at least 8 - 10 languages that he speaks fluently, but he does not speak Spanish - yet. Another woman in the class wants to be able to know what her hispanic in-laws are saying about her and she wants to be able to yell back at them in Spanish. Very interesting crowd!

I LOVE Mexico and have been wanting to learn Spanish for about 15 years now, and I'm happy that today I finally started that process. Although it will be great to know some things the next time we go on vacation, that was not what finally got me to a class. My main motivation to learn Spanish is for our annual Lifeline mission trip to Monterrey, Mexico. I want to be able to communicate to the kids in their language. I can't wait to see how much I can learn in a year. So any of my friends who are reading this, make sure you hold me accountable and ask me how my Spanish is coming!

1 comments:

Lindsay Mak said...

I am so proud of you Lanette! It is awesome that you are taking a Spanish class, even though you are soooo busy already. Love you buddy!