CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I am seriously disturbed . . .

About a month or 2 ago I was SHOCKED to find out that our high school (Penn) that's right around the corner from us made national headlines for a planned attack by a 16 year old this coming 9/11. It wasn't just talk, it was going to happen.


I was pretty emotional about it for a couple of days - just imagining the scenes I watched years ago of Columbine actually happening at our local high school where my son, my niece and nephew, and countless other kids that I love would be at was too much to deal with - it was inconceivable. Some time went by and I put it in the back of my mind and tried to forget about it.


This morning, I check the news on Comcast and see the headline "Indiana Teen Plotted Massacre". Since I work with teens, I always read anything that's going on that can help give me some insight into their world, so I clicked on it - you can read about it HERE. (There's also a video on Comcast news but I can't get it to link - It's so creepy to see video of our kids and the school on national news).

Now I have a mix of emotions . . .

  • GRATEFULNESS that this plot came to light
  • ANGER that I live in a world where I have to be afraid to send my son to school
  • SADNESS that a kid would be so messed up to want to do something like this
  • FRUSTRATION that adults (all of us) are responsible for our kids not living up to their potential.
Well now I don't want to put it in the back of my mind and forget it. This is a WAKE UP call parents, and adults - there is something seriously wrong and it's time to quit whining about it and DO SOMETHING about it.

0 comments: