CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Recap Of Surgery Day

I am amazed at the way that God has taken care of me through all of this – I really couldn’t have asked for anything more for my surgery yesterday – it was flawless. Here’s how my day went:

Checked in at 7:45 a.m:

  • Had a party in the room before my surgery – we laughed and joked a lot (Trent, Cody, Mom, Dad and my Uncle Bruce)
  • Got to know the nurses and joked around with them
  • Had a great nurse that got my IV in just one poke – yea!
  • Felt like I was at the spa when the nurses put my compression hose and wrap on my legs for blood clots (clots run in my family)
  • Dr. Smith came in and explained everything in complete detail – he even laughed and smiled when I told him to make sure he didn’t sneeze or anything
  • I had Dr. Heinke (?) for my anesthesiologist and he was very wonderful. He was an older gentlemen and he just kept assuring me that he would watch every single heartbeat and he would not leave my side – he was very comforting.
  • The scariest part for me was when they wheeled me into the OR – all the instruments were sitting around and I started to feel a little panicky, but Dr. Heinke hooked me up with the happy drug and I felt a lot better until they gave me the anesthesia, then I was out in 5 seconds. It was so cold, but they gave me a heated blanket right away which was really nice.
  • Next thing I know I wake up in recovery and I just wanted to see Trent, but they wouldn’t bring him back – I had to wait a little bit.
  • I wasn’t sick or in any pain, just tired. I guess I was in surgery a little longer than they planned - the disc had actually broken off and was traveling up my spinal cord and the nerve was running through it. Dr. Smith was very careful and did a great job.
  • They took me back to my bay and I dozed pretty much all afternoon. They said I could go home when I could eat something and go to the bathroom. Trent was ready to go so he kept asking me if I had to pee and that was getting on my nerves. I finally told him he’d be the first one to know when I had to go :0)
  • I got really irritated at Cody chewing ice - it was really loud!
  • Cody got even with me and took video of me coming out of the anesthesia - they're pretty funny to watch!
  • I did eat some jello and crackers, went to the bathroom got dressed and I think I got out of there around 4:30 or so.
  • The only time I didn’t feel good was on the car ride home I thought I might throw up, but I didn’t. I got home and went right to bed.
  • My friends and family are spoiling us with food – I have dinners being brought to us all week long – of course Cody is in heaven! Debbie and Chloe brought us dinner and my favorite chocolate cake - yummy! Ann made me lasagna and it was really good too.
  • Cody and Trent did really good and they have taken really, really good care of me. They’re the best – I love them so much!

I am in virtually no pain as of yet and hope it will stay that way. My foot and leg are responding really well, it already has some improvement and I am confident it’s just going to keep going up from here! So, Florida, here I come!

0 comments: