CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 07, 2008

Taking off the mask . . .

I can't believe I'm posting this on the world wide web, but in an effort to "Live Happy and help others do the same" I am committed to being completely authentic and transparent in my life.

This is me without my fake tooth.

Soooo. . . long story short:

  • I have terribly crooked teeth that I've always been ashamed of and when I was a kid I always covered my mouth when I smiled because I thought my smile was so nasty.

  • Circumstances while I was growing up did not allow me to get my teeth fixed.

  • When I was 20 and out on my own, I went to the orthodontist to get braces. At that time a new thing called "bonding and veneering" had just come out and I was given the choice to either fix my teeth right but it would take a few years, or spend less money and cover them up with a bunch of fake stuff. Of course I chose the immediate "fake" fix.

  • My teeth continue to move as I get older even with the bonding on and I'm still extremely self conscious and HATE my pictures and the way I look.

  • So 22 years later (the bonding was only supposed to last 7 - 10 years) - last Friday - I'm getting ready to take Cody to the bus stop and one of my "fake" teeth felt weird. I pushed on it with my tongue and it popped out! YIKES!

  • Now you have to understand this is a recurring nightmare of mine (for real) and it was coming true. So I kept pinching myself and telling myself to wake up!

  • I had quite a meltdown for about 5 minutes and then I sucked it up - decided I was calling the orthodontist to proceed with my treatment (I had been procrastinating because of money) and made the appointment.

  • I was planning on going to the dentist and have him glue the tooth back on for the time being, but decided that I was going to rise to the challenge of living without the fake stuff on my tooth. I am who I am and I decided to take that mask off.


A week later, it's not so bad. I'm very self conscious but I have to admit there is something cool about just being who I am, even thought I don't look like I would like to. Half of my braces are on and I'm one step closer to my dream of having a beautiful smile!

It might not sound like a big deal to you, but for me going around without that tooth covered up is like being NAKED in front of the entire world. So I am proud of myself that I've risen to the challenge, embraced who I am and am taking steps (although painful) to fix the problem instead of masking it.

It makes me wonder what else in my life have I been masking and need to take the mask off? Hmmm . . .

(There's my fake tooth - but it's not in my mouth!)





1 comments:

Scott Booker said...

I dont even know you and I am proud of you!!

And I am glad that you are doing something that will make you happy. :)