CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 19, 2006

"If you're connected to people, you're connected to pain"

Every Wednesday I have the privilege of attending our staff meeting at GCC (which I look forward to every week). Yesterday Dr. Bob was in charge and he said something very profound and I've been mulling it over and over. He said . . .

"If you're connected to people, you're connected to pain".

Hmmmmm . . . .

Right now, in my immediate family & close circle of friends, there is so much going on that is hurtful and painful - BIG stuff that cuts very deep. In my job/ministry, working with high school students, there is tremendous pain. Sitting on the floor holding a student who is sobbing and doesn't understand why her parents could do the horrible things they did to her (or why God would allow that), that is the epitome of "If you're connected to people, you're connected to pain" - holding her I can actually physically feel some of what she is feeling, and it is gut-wrenching.

In one way it seems like it would be so much easier to disconnect so that I wouldn't feel so much of their pain. Just keep everything at the surface and keep the "wall" up to protect myself.

On the other hand, that's not the way that God created me, and that's not what He's called me to do. To be completely honest, when I am down there in the pit with someone I care about, or a student has opened her heart to me, that is when I feel the closest to God. I can actually feel his breath on me and I can hear him whispering to me the entire time. It is indescribable, and as hard as it is, there is no other place I'd rather be.

Jesus tells us that the 2 greatest commandments are to love God and love others - it's that simple, it's not rocket science. So what are you doing to "love others" and connect to them? How do you manage the pain that you feel when you are in close relationship with others, or do you put the wall up and not even go there? GIVE ME COMMENTS - I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Thanks Dr. Bob - you really got me thinking!

1 comments:

Lindsay Mak said...

I've been here, there, and everywhere. Life has been crazy lately and I am just trying to figure out what I need to do with my life at this point. I most likely won't be at Lifeline this weekend- I have a family thing. Sometimes other things come up that are just more important. I still go to small group which is good. The group is me, Jim, Scotty, August, Candace, Courtney, Ali, and Kara. We have tons of fun together just talking about God and the Bible. I love them!

Hope you're doing great. Luv ya bundles!